The 457 visa allows employers to sponsor overseas workers on a temporary basis. There are 3 stages to this visa:
Sponsorship The employer applies to be approved as a Business Sponsor
Nomination This is where DIAC approve the position to be filled
Visa application The applicant applies to fill the nominated position
Once an employer has completed the first stage (sponsorship) it is valid for 3 years. If they wish to sponsor additional workers within the 3 years they need only complete stages 2 and 3. A 457 visa is for periods of employment from 1 day to 4 years.
Sponsorship To be approved the employer must show:
- it employs local labour and has non-discriminatory employment practices
- there must be nothing adverse known about the business or a person associated with the business
- must meet minimum training benchmarks
Nomination The position available:
- must be on the current list of gazetted occupations for this visa
- wages must meet TSMIT (currently $51,400 per annum)
Visa applicant Must be sponsored by the employer to fill the nominated position and:
- have skills, qualifications, experience and an employment background which match those required for the position
- demonstrated English language proficiency
- be eligible for any relevant licences or registration required for the nominated position
Want to know more?
Take advantage of our free initial consultation and talk to a Migration consultant in Cairns today!